Thursday 13 August 2015

President Uhuru Kenyatta tells off Raila over Uganda sugar deal



President Uhuru Kenyatta on Wednesday defended his trade deal with his Ugandan counterpart President Yoweri Museveni.
Kenyatta dismissed cord leader Raila Odinga saying that Kenya was better off supporting its neighbours than importing from countries outside the continent.
“I say this to my brother… if you want to accuse me of something, do it; you are free. When you say that I went to talk about bringing cheap sugar into Kenya, where do you want us to get our shortfall from, I would rather get from Uganda than Brazil. And who says it is cheap? Let us work to strengthen our own in this region,” said President Kenyatta.

He told Mr. Odinga, who attended Eastern Africa Region Pan African Congress at the Kenyatta International Convention Centre, to work with the government to strengthen farmers so that they can be competitive.
Odinga who addressed the congress after Mr. Kenyatta left maintained his position saying that he was simply protecting Kenyan sugarcane farmers who would suffer losses.
"I'm not opposed to intra-Africa trade. I will not be against Kenya trading with Uganda. All we want is protection for Kenyan cane farmers," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment